[Coral-List] Follow-up: NOAA lists 20 new corals

Paul Muir paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au
Wed Sep 10 18:52:22 EDT 2014

It would be quite incredible if A. rudis occurs in American Samoa or anywhere else in the Pacific Ocean - it is an Indian Ocean species- according to Wallace 1999; Wallace, Done & Muir 2012*.  Some of the other ranges indicated on the factsheet are also surprising. Really need to use specimen-based records for this group - many species are not possible to identify with 100% accuracy in situ even by experts.  Carden Wallace and I have created a website to help interpret this group (www.coralsee.org<http://www.coralsee.org>) and the Museum has the largest global collection of staghorns, a large collection for the other Indo-Pacific genera including many mesophotic corals plus there's an ID service.

It's definitely an odd choice of Acropora/ Isopora species but it's a start!

Dr. Paul Muir
Acting Curator, Corals

Checkout our staghorn coral website www.coralsee.org

museum of tropical queensland | queensland museum
70 - 102 flinders street | townsville | queensland 4810 | australia
t 07 47 260 642 | f 07 47 212 093 | m 0407 117 998 | paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au<mailto:paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au> | www.mtq.qm.qld.gov.au<http://www.mtq.qm..qld.gov.au/>
Find us Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Museum-of-Tropical-Queensland/188526917856786>  | Meet us Foursquare<http://foursquare.com/venue/1413811> | Watch us YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenslandMuseum>

*Revision and catalogue of worldwide staghorn corals Acropora and Isopora in the Museum of Tropical Queensland, Memoirs of the Queensland Museum Nature vol. 57