[Coral-List] 20 newly listed coral species

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 09:02:11 EDT 2014

   As   I interpreted   it,   the  major  "thrust"  of  the  Op-Ed  piece
   ([1]http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/opinion/we-can-save-coral-reefs.html?s
   mid=&_r=0)  was this point -"to save coral reefs,  . . . we need to stop all
   forms  of overfishing, establish large and effectively enforced marine
   protected areas and impose strict regulations on coastal development and
   pollution while at the same time working to reduce fossil fuel emissions
   driving climate change. Itâs not either/or. Itâs all of the above".  This
   proposition seems to be in line with most of the science-based papers that
   I've read on the subject. I don't believe that anybody is conspiring to use
   this  argument to  create  a  frightening outside threat in an attempt
   to control the masses. The reference to parrot fish was simply a way to
   illustrate  that herbivores have a role to play in the preservation of
   healthy coral reef systems.   Steve