[Coral-List] Session on CO2 vent studies at ASLO 2015, Granada

Fiorella Prada - Marine Science Group fiorella at marinesciencegroup.org
Fri Sep 26 08:00:47 EDT 2014

Dear Coral-List Colleagues,

the abstract submission is open until 10 October, for the next ASLO Aquatic
Sciences Meeting that will be held 22-27 February 2015 in Granada,
Andalusia, Southern Spain.

We would like to draw your attention to the following session, that we are
organizing:

Session 61 - Global climate change: ocean acidification experiments at CO2
vents.

Ocean acidification (OA) has raised concerns about its effects on marine
organisms, particularly for those reliant on the generation and
accumulation of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) shells, tests, skeletons, and/or
structures. As a consequence of OA, the ability of marine calcifiers to
deposit CaCO3 is modified in response to changes in ocean geochemistry as
carbonate ions are an essential substrate for biotic calcification. Most
studies investigating how elevated CO2 will impact the function of marine
organisms are laboratory-based, making it difficult to directly relate
laboratory results to the effect that elevated CO2 will have on marine
biota in situ. Field experiments, at sites with naturally-elevated CO2
conditions, such as CO2 vents, are potentially useful analogues for
investigating the effect of future acidification on marine organisms and
ecosystems. Vents are not ideal predictors of future oceans, owing to pH
variability but they acidify seawater on sufficiently large temporal and
spatial scales to integrate ecosystem processes, acting as "natural
laboratories." This session is intended to provide a summary of the main
findings obtained from field-based studies and provide key lessons on the
long-term effects of ocean acidification on marine ecosystems acclimatized
to high pCO2.

Abstract submission and conference information at:

http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/granada2015/default.asp

We look forward to your participation in this exciting meeting and to
seeing you soon in Granada.

Best wishes,

Stefano, Zvy, Katharina, Jason and Hajime

Stefano Goffredo, University of Bologna

s.goffredo at unibo.it
<s.goffredo at unibo.it?cc=zvykalmog at gmail.com,K.Fabricius at aims.gov.au,jason.hall-spencer at plymouth.ac.uk,kayanne at eps.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

http://www.unibo.it/Faculty/default.aspx?UPN=s.goffredo%40unibo.it

Zvy Dubinsky, Bar-Ilan University

zvykalmog at gmail.com
<zvykalmog at gmail.com?cc=s.goffredo at unibo.it,K.Fabricius at aims.gov.au,jason.hall-spencer at plymouth.ac.uk,kayanne at eps.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

http://www.biu.ac.il/faculty/dubinz/

Katharina Fabricius, Australian Institute of Marine Science

K.Fabricius at aims.gov.au
<K.Fabricius at aims.gov.au?cc=s.goffredo at unibo.it,zvykalmog at gmail.com,jason.hall-spencer at plymouth.ac.uk,kayanne at eps.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

http://data.aims.gov.au/staffcv/jsf/external/view.xhtml?partyId=100000064

Jason Hall Spencer, Plymouth University