[Coral-List] The Chagos MPA - what went wrong?

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 07:11:36 EDT 2014

Doug Fenner poses a number of comments on my post which drew people's
attention to (1) the New Scientist piece by Fred Pearce and (2) a paper
by myself and 3 co-authors in Advances in Marine Biology (AMB).

Rather than waste everyone's time addressing these issues here on Coral
List I would invite him (and anyone else who is interested) to actually
read the full AMB paper rather than just the Abstract.

He will then find some answers including that: (1) Koldewey et al (2010)
was poor 'science', perhaps because it was hurriedly written in 2009 to
persuade the British Government how wonderful a MPA would be for the
fish of the Chagos, (2) that as regards the pelagic fishery Sheppard et
al (2012) largely regurgitates Koldewey et al. We discuss both papers
quite extensively.

Possibly the greatest damage to the fish populations of the Chagos was
and still is due to fishing on the island of Diego Garcia by US
servicemen and civilian contractors. Not because their lives depend on
it but purely for pleasure. Perhaps Doug should be lobbying his
Government to stop this pointless practice.

If there is to be an intelligent debate please could people first look
at the evidence. There is also lots of other information about the
Chagos on my website:
https://sites.google.com/site/thechagosarchipelagofacts/home. I am happy
to send anyone who requests, papers or information they require if it is
not already available on the website to download.

Richard P Dunne

On 28/09/2014 09:14, Douglas Fenner wrote:

> Richard,
>
>      Perhaps the most important item in your post on Chagos is your
> statement that it is "a MPA which is unlikely to confer any benefit on
> Indian Ocean tuna or their conservation, and no significant additional
> protection for sharks, marine turtles, or cetaceans."   Have a look at
> "Will 'lazy fish benefit most from new US megareserve?"  Published by
> Science magazine.  Here's the link: Will 'lazy' fish benefit most from
> new U.S. marine megareserve?
> <http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/09/will-lazy-fish-benefit-most-new-u-s-marine-megareserve>
>   Do follow up its citations!  Happy reading!  Read also the Koldewey
> et al review (you cite it!) on just how much the tuna fishing
> cessation WILL provide additional benefit to ‘bycatch’.
>
> Koldewey HJ, Curnick D, Harding S, Harrison LR, Gollock M (2010)
> Potential benefits to fisheries and biodiversity of the Chagos
> Archipelago/British Indian Ocean Territory as a no-take marine
> reserve. Mar Pollut Bull 60:1906-1915 (Google Scholar has a link to an
> open access source of this paper)
>
>     The New Scientist article you point to is labelled as an "Opinion"
> piece. That is a cue to the reader that this is not a news article,
> and is not held to the standards of objectivity and balance that good
> journalism requires of articles. Instead, it is on the Editorial page,
> it is opinion.  It appears to present only one side of the issue.
> Readers should keep that in mind.
>
>     For a different perspective on Chagos, take a look at the
> relatively short but informative article "Protecting the Chagos
> Archipelago - a last chance for Indian Ocean reefs?" at
> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGVjaGFnb3NhcmNoaXBlbGFnbzJ8Z3g6Mzc5ZDI5NTcxZTJkMTlmZg
>

> For a more comprehensive review, see Sheppard et al. 2012.  Reefs and
> islands of the Chagos Archipelago, Indian Ocean: why it is the world's
> largest no-take marine area.  Aquatic Conservation: Marine and
> Freshwater Ecosystems 22: 232-261.  Also available through Google Scholar.
>
>     There is a phrase, "The depopulating of the Pacific."  People move
> from the tiniest islands to islands which have capital cities on them,
> and they move to developed countries.  They move voluntarily, and this
> is a global trend.  For example, the little island-state of Niue now
> has only 1500 people left, and 9000 live in New Zealand.  This process
> is common all over the oceans, Indian Ocean and Caribbean as well as
> Pacific (I read that many people in Puerto Rico are now moving to the
> US because of hard economic times in Puerto Rico).  The reason people
> move is because they are moving to places with better economic
> opportunities, and many other services that they can't get on islands.
> The smaller and more remote the island, the more expensive it is to
> provide services.  Services like stores, jobs, medical facilities,
> [...]

---