[Coral-List] Summer Coral Reef Ecology Course in the Maldives

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 07:02:38 EDT 2014

Dear all

We still have a few places left on next year's summer coral ecology courses which are run in the Maldives.

Next year we will be running two courses, the first of which runs between August 13th -22nd 2015 and the second August 22nd -31st 2015. This course is designed to provide students of any level with a sound foundation in ecological concepts, survey techniques and experimental design in field research applied to coral reef ecosystems. The Maldives, an atoll country has been described as one of the most interesting and diverse reef formations in all of the Indian Ocean. During the course we will provide a brief introduction on coral ecology, focusing on corals, sponges, echinoderms, reef fish and other organisms. We will cover lecturers on coral anatomy, physiology and ecological requirements. We will also assess the roles of these organisms on the reef and cover ways the reefs are being impacted by both anthropogenic and natural factors. Reef health sampling techniques will be discussed and practiced in the field and we will go over numerous experimental designs and sampling schemes aimed at describing the reef community and reef health status as a whole. During the latter end of the week, each course participant will be expected to prepare a brief, independent study. You will be guided through this process by myself, Dr Michael Sweet but the emphasis will be on independent thought and action. At the end of the 10 days each participant or group will be expected to present their findings in a mini-symposium and if grades are required, this presentation will account for part of that grading. Please email Dr Michael Sweet at m.sweet at derby.ac.uk<mailto:m.sweet at derby.ac.uk> for further information on the course and availability.

We can also offer courses at different times of the year to suit your own needs and availability, however this will be dependent on numbers who wish to attend. If you are a University or a group not attached to any particular institute, please contact me to discuss options and dates and I'll tailor a trip around your needs and wishes.

All the best

Regards

Mike Sweet

The course will be based on Vavvaru Island, Lhaviyani Atoll, in the Indian Ocean, Korallionlab (www.korallionlab.com<http://www.korallionlab.com>).

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this was sent to you in error, please select unsubscribe.