[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 09:42:57 EDT 2015

   Good idea William. I like the coalition approach.
   Lots of lists of environmentally-friendly diving practices abound, but how
   about everybody throwing out one suggestion. Identify yourself as scientist
   or diver or both (Alex) as you see fit.
   Propose one simple suggestion for regulating local and global impacts of the
   scuba diving industry.
   Challenge or endorse if you prefer.
   Here is mine: Diver.
   Require marine environmental issues information be part of all open water
   diver certification courses. It could even be presented in an entertaining
   video format.

   As Ben mentioned, it is our responsibility to inform new divers as to how
   baselines have changed. I am working with others within the diving industry
   to develop just such a list. We would be willing to start from scratch so
   that we might benefit from the insights of the scientific community. We
   understand  that  even  if  every diver adopted and adhered to certain
   eco-standards this in and of itself would not solve the problem. But it
   would certainly signal a move in the right direction. One that is long
   overdue.
   Regards,
   Steve