[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reef Scientists

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Apr 6 12:35:42 EDT 2015

Judy makes excellent points and I'll add one on the offset side. I am on a
committee charged with minimizing the College's carbon footprint, whether
to use carbon offsets and, if so, how to best do this.

The reality, as we see it, is that neutrality is impossible to do without
offsets. Having come to this realization, we are nevertheless mindful that
this realization makes it too easy to effectively "tithe" our way to
heaven.

As a result, we have started a process that tries to identify ways to
create and support useful offsets within the local community. This has two
important elements. First, it makes sure that the positive impacts are felt
locally. Also, it makes it easier to monitor whether the funds are actually
used toward the intended end (carbon reduction).

I recently tried to pay my "guilt money" to Delta airlines for a research
trip to Belize and they made it more difficult than finding the cheapest
fare and booking it. Also, there was no description of where the funds
would go. While I'm hopeful they didn't go into a bonus (or vacation trip)
for some Delta executive, I have to assume that Delta's due diligence in
choosing and monitoring a possible recipient is lower than I'd like.

So, the message here is to spend some time looking for an offset either in
your local community or in the community where you are working. Bringing
local capacity into the research side of the equation is a great start and
something to be encouraged in any event. However, I've typically seen this
needing continued collaboration (i.e., trips). So, I've tended to think of
this as valuable and something I just do as part of being a professional -
not necessarily reducing carbon output. I value this and applaud anyone
taking this approach. But I also hope we can come up with ways that we
might directly offset carbon, perhaps something we might identify through
ISRS (and I'm thinking separately from a student research grant). Something
to think about.

Dennis