[Coral-List] New Dendrogyra reproduction paper from CARMABI

Kristen Marhaver kristenmarhaver at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:58:11 EDT 2015

Dear Coral-List,

We're pleased to share our progress raising Dendrogyra cylindrus (pillar
coral) juveniles to the settler stage, which was recently published in BMC
Ecology. We also report spawning data from 2012-2014, demonstrating quite
predictable spawning times in this species (even more so than Acropora it
seems). Dendrogyra is restricted to the Atlantic, but our experience
working with spawning gonochores may still be interesting to colleagues in
other seas.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6785/15/9

We were fortunate to get some nice press coverage. However, we were
disappointed that some journalists failed to give proper credit for the
first published spawning observations. This credit goes to Donahue et al.
2008 and Neely et al. 2012.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-03/bc-rgi030915.php
http://www.npr.org/2015/03/19/393586215/scientists-catch-up-on-the-sex-life-of-coral-to-help-reefs-survive

A big THANK YOU to Margaret Miller for her encouragement and for sharing
anecdotes that helped us determine when Dendrogyra would spawn in Curacao.
We hope this paper increases interest in Dendrogyra spawning in the coming
years and we're happy to provide any advice we can on the topic.

With tropical cheers,

Kristen Marhaver, Mark Vermeij, and Monica Medina

Kristen L. Marhaver, Ph.D.
NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Ocean Sciences
Caribbean Research and Management of Biodiversity (CARMABI)
@CoralSci