[Coral-List] Divers and corals

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Thu Apr 9 11:53:51 EDT 2015

List - It's amazing to me that missing from this discussion is the issue of
disturbance of fish and wildlife (mammals, birds, etc) by power boats and
human presence on popular coral reefs.  I can confirm what Gene Shinn said
about little Looe Key with 50-100 boats at a time.  Does anyone really think
that the mere presence of all those boats and divers doesn't in itself have
a profound impact on animals that would otherwise make use of the area, not
to mention affect their activity.   How far can a diver hear a large power
boat?  Plenty far of course, now imagine 50-100 power boats coming and going
in a relatively small area.  The literature is full of information on the
negative effects of noise and human activity on fish and wildlife.  Why do
we think reefs are any different?  And, it's the coral reef ecosystem we're
concerned about right, remember, all the components and pieces? Not just the
% of hard coral cover.

The presence of power boats all over Keys flats and shallows have helped
lead to the demise of once famous Keys flats fishing.  And if disturbance of
bonefish and permit and the like is not an issue, and they're not disturbed
by noisy, high speed boat traffic, then all those fishing writers writing
about the wary and easily spooked and hard to catch flats fish have been
fooling us all these years.

For certain it's a difficult issue to address in any meaningful fashion but
the issue of disturbance on popular reefs and flats needs to at least be
recognized and discussed, and put on the list of real concerns, not ignored.

Curtis Kruer