[Coral-List] Fast extension rates don’t always equate to a healthy coral

Andrew Ross ross.andrew at mac.com
Fri Apr 10 10:14:12 EDT 2015

List,
Scott and I and others have discussed a little bit already and it might be worth bringing up here:
When I was young and energetic I measured Acropora cervicornis apical polyp extension weekly for about 5-months, including through death in the 2005 Caribbean bleaching event.
Extension rates increased in the days/weeks leading up to and into bleaching, including the times of highest water temperatures. Bleaching didn’t set in in earnest until temperatures had started to wane.
This was Montego Bay, Jamaica, where the water is generally warm (28C) and enriched.
In the week(s) of full bleaching leading to final death, I often noted shrinking inclusive of skeleton, though this was likely just in the soft apical skeleton.
The formal paper is maybe 60% complete. If anybody is curious, it’s in my thesis on ResearchGate.
Andrew