[Coral-List] Scientist help needed - Seismic Airguns in the Atlantic social media campaign
CJohnson at oceana.org
Mon Apr 27 12:59:07 EDT 2015
*Apologies for cross-posting*
We are looking for marine scientists to participate in a social media campaign to increase awareness of the potential risks of seismic airgun testing in the Atlantic Ocean. Here's what you would do:
* Print out this sign<http://bit.ly/1HAF09f> and fill in your name and affiliation/position.
* Take a picture of yourself holding the sign. It reads: "Seismic airgun exploration for oil and gas puts marine life at risk of serious harm."
* Send the photo and disclosure form<http://bit.ly/1bBsMkX> back to me, and we will take care of the rest!
We've reached out to marine scientists before seeking signers on two letters to the Obama administration on the issue:
* 75 Leading marine scientists<http://usa.oceana.org/sites/default/files/statement._atlantic_seismic_5mar15.pdf>: letter to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management expressing concern over the introduction of seismic oil and gas exploration along the U.S. mid-Atlantic and south Atlantic coasts (sent on 3/5/2015.)
* 100+ scientists<http://oceana.org/sites/default/files/Marine_Scientist_Sign_on_Letter_Use_Acoustic_Guidelines_for_Seismic_Surveys_in_Mid_and_South_Atlantic.pdf>: letter to President Obama urging him to wait on new science before permitting the use of seismic airguns in the Atlantic Ocean (sent on 2/20/2014.)
Please let me know if you are interested in learning more and helping with this campaign. If the links do not work for you, email me (cjohnson at oceana.org<mailto:cjohnson at oceana.org>) and I will send them to you as attachments.. Thanks so much!
Charise Johnson | Climate & Energy Intern
OCEANA | Protecting the World's Oceans
1350 Connecticut Ave. NW, 5th Floor | Washington, D.C., 20036 USA
T +1.202.467.1921 | F +1.202.833.2070
E cjohnson at oceana.org<mailto:cjohnson at oceana.org> | W http://oceana.org<http://oceana.org/>
More information about the Coral-List