[Coral-List] Air Guns on Social Media

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:17:56 EDT 2015

The request for marine scientists to participate in a social media
campaign to stop seismic surveys was certainly an attention getter. One
must wonder if this is a proper use of social media? Readers are
certainly aware that Social Media has been effective for creating flash
mobs and riots (Baltimore riots?). One may wonder if responsible
scientists will loose credibility by becoming involved in this kind of
activity? I admit to being biased because about 40 years ago I filmed a
seismic air gun firing from about 12 ft. away.As a mammal I am not aware
that I suffered any harm, however, some readers will surely say that’s
what is wrong with me.Of course any plankton, fish larvae, or clam
larvae in close vicinity (say a few meters) are bound to be affected
just as they would from outboard motor propellers or those giant
propellers pushing cruise ships or closer to home; scientific research
vessels? Where is the hard data that whales and turtles are harmed when
they are thousands of feet away from the event? Have there been any
controlled experiments? As a marine scientist I would hesitate to sign
any activist letters purporting to represent reliable data. There is
nothing new here. This anti exploration campaign has been going on ever
since the industry switched from explosives to airguns. Are the signers
aware that seismic survey vessels have long been required to transport
and pay for marine mammal and turtle observers that have authority to
stop seismic activity if any are spotted? It might be smart for
scientists to shy away from any NGO sponsored activities that may have
financial or dubious political motives. Doing so might harm your
research opportunities in the future. On the other hand it might get you
a grant. If you get a grant I hope it is to do a publishable controlled
experiment. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor