[Coral-List] conservation vs wildlife viewing/interaction

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 30 13:04:35 EDT 2015

   Dear Ellen,
   Sorry  if I misinterpreted your message, but let me point out that the
   businesses in the Crystal River area were initially not thrilled with the
   idea of Federal and State authorities coming in and setting up sanctuaries
   limiting access to the manatees. However, in hindsight  those protections
   and others related to their listing as endangered species has brought the
   manatees back to the point that there is consideration of moving them to
   threatened  status. This is a positive step that never would have been
   accomplished had business interests in the area been allowed to carry on
   doing  business  as  usual. They had to confront the issue head on and
   sacrifice short-term financial considerations for long-term survival. Maybe
   that is the message that the diving industry needs to hear. The first step
   in dealing effectively with any crisis is to accurately assess the problem
   at hand and then develop strategies to counteract it. There is no guarantee
   that we can reverse trends, but in my opinion lingering in denial will most
   likely seal the fate of both the reefs and the diving industry.
   Regards,
   Steve