[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] Re: conservation vs wildlife viewing/interaction

Alevizon, William Stephen alevizonws at cofc.edu
Thu Apr 30 18:21:44 EDT 2015

Jordan-Sellers, Terri  Said:

“So using this as an example would say that there need to be regulatory programs
 in place to license coral dive operations,
including limitations on the number of divers per year and marked no diver entry areas.
 If divers enter the area, the dive boat/shop faces penalties including  ‎the potential
 of not being allowed to bring divers into the reef area.”

I SAY:  YES! - THAT IS THE ONLY KIND OF “DIVER MANAGEMENT” THAT
WILL BE EFFECTIVE.  THAT’S WHY EFFORTS TO CONTROL DIVER IMPACT MUST FOCUS UPON MPA MANAGERS OR OTHER REGULATORY AGENCIES.
DIVER “AWARENESS” PROGRAMS HAVE GONE ON FOR 30 YEARS,
AND HAVE PROVED USELESS UNLESS # OF DIVERS ARE STRICTLY CONTROLLED
AND BETTER YET, SOME REEFS ARE OFF LIMITS TOTALLY.

Steve Mussman said:  “I am not advocating for a draconian regulatory regime”

I say: THERE IS NOTHING DRACONIAN ABOUT THE ABOVE EXAMPLE.
IT WORKS. IT IS SOUND NATURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.

Steve Mussman said:   “That's exactly why I believe that the diving industry would be better served by being proactive in this regard”

I say: THE DIVE INDUSTRY HAS HAD 45 YEARS TO “GET PROACTIVE”.
LOOK HOW WELL THAT HAS WORKED OUT IN THE FLORIDA KEYS.
THE ONLY THING THEY HEVE EVER BEEN PROACTIVE ABOUT IS MAKING MORE MONEY.

Bill

William S. Alevizon

Research Associate

Dept. of Biology