[Coral-List] CO2 risks for coral reefs

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:20:53 EDT 2015

The scientists of the Manhattan Project, headed by Robert Oppenheimer, lobbied to avoid nuclear proliferation and a nuclear arms race between the USA and the Soviet Union. As the keepers of knowledge for nuclear power it was all they could do to redeem their actions because they had created death with the atomic bomb.
Coral reef scientists are the keepers of knowledge (for coral reefs, of course). We have not built an atomic bomb. But our lack of action to lobby for massive reduction and eventual elimination of CO2 emissions will cause irrevocable death to coral reefs. We can kill due to our lack of action.
What are we afraid of? Is lobbying a dirty word? What are we willing to risk to save coral reefs? The time we spend being proactive, we'll divert from publishing a couple of papers, not writing that grant, or something else.If we do nothing, Can we live with the knowledge we let the rainforests of the ocean die in our watch?
I want to stand up and be counted. There are others in this list who agree with what Peter Sale wrote and perhaps what I'm writing here. Let's get organized. The clock stops November 30, 2015

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Twitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres