[Coral-List] REU research opportunity at STRI in Panama

David Kline dkline at ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 11 16:50:51 EST 2015

Please see the opportunity below for an REU fellowship at the Smithsonian
Tropical Research Institute (STRI) in Panama. Please distribute and pass on
to any interested undergraduates.

Thank you-

Davey

Dear all,

We are happy to announce the call for applications for the 2016 Research
Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program in Integrative Tropical Biology
at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) in Panama.

The program will run from June 6 - August 13 2016 with an application
deadline on February 15 next year. During the 10-week REU summer program,
interns will experience several aspects of project design, fieldwork and
research on existing projects led by STRI scientists. Students will receive
a highly competitive stipend, travel expenses, food and housing during
their stay in Panama.

We are looking for advanced undergraduate students (third or fourth year)
interested in the life sciences, broadly defined, who are interested in
exploring the processes that generate our world’s extraordinary diversity.
To qualify for NSF REU funds, applicants must be U.S. citizen or permanent
resident. New funding from Panama’s National Secretariat of Science,
Technology and Innovation (SENACYT) will allow Panamanian students to pair
up with U.S. students in the 2016 program.  Our program reaches across
disciplines and in addition, we hope to identify a diverse cohort of
students and encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities,
economically disadvantaged students, and students from institutions that
lack direct access to research opportunities.

We would appreciate your support in widely distributing the program flyer
program and/or reaching out to appropriate students. You can find a pdf
version of the flyer here
<http://www.stri.si.edu/reu/english/STR_REU_FLYER_2016_Letter_15feb.pdf>.
You may find the information and application instructions on our website
<http://www.stri.si.edu/reu/english/>.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and please contact us at:
strireu at si.edu if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Office of Academic Programs

For further information on this message call: Paola Gomez Garcia at:
2128281 or email: strireu at si.edu

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. David I. Kline
Associate Project Scientist
*Scripps Institution of Oceanography, **University of California, San Diego*
Integrative Oceanography Division, MC 0218, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla,
CA, 92093-0218
Tel: (858) 534-8947 | Cell: (858) 519-6160 | Fax: (858) 534-2997 | Skype:
dkline0
*Research Associate - Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute*
Web: *Davey's Scripps Scholars webpage*
<http://scrippsscholars.ucsd.edu/dkline>
*         Davey's Google Scholar Profile
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yhpAb1YAAAAJ&hl=en>*
*         Davey's Research Gate Profile
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Kline3>*
           *Davey's LinkedIn Page
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-kline/32/888/b72>*
*         Facebook Page:_Kline Coral Reef-Ecology and Global Change Lab
<https://www.facebook.com/Coral-Reef-Ecology-and-Global-Change-Kline-Lab-Scripps-Oceanog-857688697681700/>*