[Coral-List] New paper on internal waves

Tom DeCarlo tdecarlo at whoi.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:38:49 EST 2015

Dear Coral-List,

There is growing recognition of the importance of internal waves on
coral reefs, with papers in the last few years showing that internal
waves can elevate nutrients and enhance coral heterotrophy, and more
recently that internal waves may reduce bleaching, on some coral reefs.

I want to draw your attention to our recent publication in Geophysical
Research Letters, "Climate modulates internal wave activity in the
Northern South China Sea". The take-home message of the paper is that
internal wave activity is projected to increase in this region under
21st century climate change, with important implications for coral
resilience to warming and ocean acidification. Link to our paper here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014GL062522/abstract

The South China Sea is home to possibly the world's largest internal
waves, which collide with Dongsha Atoll and influence the temperature
and nutrient environment for the corals living there. Our paper focuses
on the climatology of internal waves in this region, and their projected
changes over the next century. Given the mounting body of evidence that
internal waves not only buffer corals from thermal stress, but play key
roles in modulating the composition of source-water to reefs in some
regions, a changing internal wave climate potentially represents an
important factor in coral reef resiliency to climate change.

DeCarlo, T.M., K. B. Karnauskas, K.A. Davis, and G.T.F. Wong (2015),
Climate modulates internal wave activity in the Northern South China
Sea, /Geophys. Res. Lett./, 42, doi:10.1002/2014GL062522

- Tom DeCarlo

--
Tom DeCarlo
PhD Student