[Coral-List] MARCH 1ST DEADLINE - SCIENCE UNDER SAIL EXPEDITIONS for College Students

Robin T Smith PhD robin at scienceundersail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:19:44 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I'm happy to announce a unique opportunity for college students to participate in coral reef research. If you know individuals that you think would benefit from these Expeditions, kindly forward them this link to our flyer:

https://links.connecteddata.com/AUXfNYLyl8lCJ2a/SUSiE%20Recruitment%20Poster.pdf <https://links.connecteddata.com/AUXfNYLyl8lCJ2a/SUSiE%20Recruitment%20Poster.pdf>
Likewise, please feel free to print and/or distribute this flyer as you see fit.

Thanks,

Robin

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

SCIENCE UNDER SAIL ExPEDITIONS -- 2015 ENROLLMENT / MARCH 1st DEADLINE

 2015 Summer Expedition Summary

Intensive 18-day Expeditions are designed to immerse undergraduate & graduate students in the field of Exploration Science. As active participants aboard an ongoing coral reef research expedition, students are challenged with the rigors of marine fieldwork. Participation in every aspect of a live-aboard expedition prepares students for field research within any discipline by enhancing teamwork, problem solving, spontaneous innovation, and other skills required to successfully collect data outside a laboratory, and off-the-grid. The Expeditions integrate formal lectures covering a broad range of current topics in coral reef science, global climate change and ocean conservation. Many lectures are combined with field survey and/or data collection components. Students also become proficient in many cutting-edge techniques used in coral reef research, as well as other scientific disciplines. Additionally, participants learn the fundamentals of seamanship and sailing as they captain and navigate the 46ft catamaran throughout the Exuma archipelago (Bahamas) to near-shore and offshore research sites.

*Participation is open to College Students and graduating high-school seniors 18+ (gap year students welcome)

Complete details, mission objectives, detailed curriculum, and a downloadable application can be found at: www.scienceundersail.org <http://www.scienceundersail.org/>

For specific inquiries, please contact info at scienceundersail.org <mailto:info at scienceundersail.org>

 Application Deadline March 1st

Students.  If you're wondering what a Science under Sail Expedition is really like and if it's for you?  We invite you to check out our newly launched alumni blog series – “Exploring Blue.”

Each week, during February and March, we'll bring you behind-the-scenes stories of our past participants' journeys. They talk about their unique experiences as an xTeam member, and how the Expedition has inspired their desire to go further. To follow the series, sign up here <http://scienceundersail.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=3ba3c69f077bafbbfca0a96bd&id=47b03633fa> or visit: scienceundersail.org/blog <http://scienceundersail.org/blog>

SUS Expeditions are programs of SUSiE – the Science Under Sail Institute for Exploration. SUSiE operates as a ‘for purpose’ 501(c)3 Scientific Institute dedicated to advancing the exploration and scientific research of coral reef ecosystems worldwide. The institute utilizes scientific expeditions as an innovative training platform in Exploration Science and STEM disciplines; providing high-performing college students with unique research experiences and college-to-career mentorship.

Robin T Smith PhD
Founder & CEO