[Coral-List] Looming coral bleaching?

Héctor Reyes Bonilla hreyes at uabcs.mx
Wed Jan 14 13:05:37 EST 2015

coral list, saludos.

just a comment; last year we had a severe coral bleaching in the southern
gulf of california due to high local temperatures (over 1°C above the usual
from february to november, and surpassing the local bleaching threshold
during three months in summer and fall). it is interesting to note that sst
in this region has been lower than usual in the last decade, apparently due
to the effect of the cold phase of the pacific decadal oscillation,
however, according to local oceanographers, there is some evidence that the
pdo is changing to its warm phase again. in short, maybe everybody is
right: bleaching can occur even in the presence of a "cold regime",
depending on the location, but if the conditions "align", the effects can
be synergistic and catastrophic, like they were in 1997-98.

Hector Reyes
UABCS, La Paz