[Coral-List] A more serious topic: Continued

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Jul 1 10:12:16 EDT 2015

Dear List,

First, thank you to all those who pointed out that what we call "moose"
in the USA (and Canada, I think) are called "elk" or a word that sounds
like "elk" in various places in Europe and Asia.

However, not only did I know that, but it is irrelevant!  What we are
concerned with is what to call Acropora palmata as a common name that
can be used by lay people in ENGLISH SPEAKING countries that actually
have this coral in their waters.

Last time I checked, there were no Acroporids in the North Sea.

Of particular relevance and importance, Billy Causey has pointed out
that "some of the old timers in the Keys refer to Acropora palmata as
Moose Horn coral."

Also, I do know the difference between "horn" and "antler".  But we need
to take one step at a time.

I do not believe that we can solve the all the world's problems on this
list, but we can attack this one.

As an aside, at least my correspondence has the word "coral" in it
somewhere.

Keep smiling, things could be worse.
John

     *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
     *                         President                         *
     *                      SeaServices, LLC                     *
     *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
     *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
     *                       928 478-6358                        *
     *                      jware at erols.com                      *
     *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
     *                Former Member of the Council:              *
     *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
     *                                          _                *
     *                                         |                 *
     *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
     *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org