[Coral-List] Fishing with bed nets survey - closing next week

Gurung, Rajina rajina.gurung14 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 10:17:10 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I wanted to send a reminder that the survey I am conducting, in partnership with Zoological Society of London, which is looking at the global use of malaria bed nets for fishing will close on Sunday 19th July.

If you haven't already filled in the survey or shared it with your networks, we would be grateful if you could fill it in or share it, particularly if you work/live or know anyone who works/lives near fishing areas in Asia and Latin America as we are lacking responses from these areas. Responses from other areas are also welcome!

Survey link here: http://bit.ly/1FIrFHd

I am looking for people with site level knowledge that can confirm or deny whether they have seen fishing with bed nets. Both positive and negative observations of net use are useful as we are interested in seeing how prevalent this type of fishing is in different parts of the world. If you do not feel able to fill in the survey please consider sharing/tweeting it as we are looking to get the word out. More info below.

Many thanks,
Rajina

Imperial College London
Email: rajina.gurung14 at imperial.ac.uk
Skype: rajinagurung321
Twitter @rajinagurung

There are two groups of people who we are targeting this survey towards, anyone who has knowledge of small-scale and artisanal fishing, and anyone who is involved in malaria control efforts in fishing areas of developing countries. We would be very grateful if you could complete the survey if you belong to one of these two groups regardless of whether you have observed bed nets being used in fishing because we are interested in both positive and negative observations of net use. The survey should only take about 15 minutes to complete and it should take less time if you haven't seen fishing with bed nets.

There have been a number of reports of bed nets being used for fishing, but these have been anecdotal or local. This study will give the first global perspective on the use of insecticide-treated bed nets and long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets for fishing. This will increase understanding of the scale and methods of fishing with bed nets and its role in people’s livelihoods so that we can provide advice on how to manage this growing phenomenon. If anyone has seen the practice up close or has an opinion on the matter and would like to discuss further please do not hesitate to get in touch.