[Coral-List] testing effects of ocean acidification

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Wed Jul 8 11:42:57 EDT 2015

Hi all,
I just came across this paper, and have not yet read beyond the abstract,
but it may be important to anyone doing research on effects of ocean
acidification on coral reef organisms.  With the caveat that some
statisticians are a bit over the top purists, but knowing that many
ecologists (including me sometimes) are statistically over-casual, I think
the abstract contains some telling comment.  Admittedly, this article is
based on studies from all over, not just reefs, and we who work on reefs
are far better than average scientists.  Still, would be nice to ensure we
avoid sloppy science as we accumulate information on OA effects on our
favorite system.

The article, by C. Cornwall and C. Hurd, out of UWA just came out in ICES:
http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2015/07/07/icesjms.fsv118.abstract

The part of the abstract that caught my eye says, with reference to
aquarium or tank experiments, "To assess the use of appropriate
experimental design in ocean acidification research, 465 studies published
between 1993 and 2014 were surveyed, focusing on the methods used to
replicate experimental units. The proportion of studies that had
interdependent or non-randomly interspersed treatment replicates, or did
not report sufficient methodological details was 95%. Furthermore, 21% of
studies did not provide any details of experimental design, 17% of studies
otherwise segregated all the replicates for one treatment in one space,
15% of studies replicated CO2 treatments in a way that made replicates
more interdependent within treatments than between treatments, and 13% of
studies did not report if replicates of all treatments were randomly
interspersed. As a consequence, the number of experimental units used per
treatment in studies was low (mean = 2.0)."

Peter Sale
@PeterSale3
www.petersalebooks.com