[Coral-List] testing effects of ocean acidification

Grottoli, Andrea grottoli.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 9 12:47:08 EDT 2015

Dear Peter and All:

We agree that as OA researchers, we need to do a much better job on the experimental design side of things.  It is very frustrating when  reviewing stuff that has poor experimental design such that you cannot tell treatment effect from tank or genotype effects.  That said, there are typically logistical, financial, and practical limitations that restrict us from doing ideal experiments and instead we do practical ones.  We often are limited to "B-designs" because there is no other practical way around it.

We think that recognizing when one has an A or B design is important and should be acknowledged.  Whether or not one is able to configure their experiment to meet the A-design standards is a whole other issue that is in some cases, going to be prohibitively expensive and therefore not possible.  At the very least, researchers should be very up-front about their experimental design and the limits of that design.  And hopefully, a paper like this helps folks to better plan their experiments with the resources they have.  Hurlbert turned the field of ecology on its head with his 1984 paper and the response to it was swift and dramatic -- but not necessarily always for the better.  As a consequence, ecological studies are much more rigorous now..  The downside, is that some take the Hurlbert advice so literally that it sometimes takes away from obvious messages and unnecessarily restricts good science.

It would behoove the OA community to take this paper to heart by being completely transparent about their experimental designs, up front about the limitations of their interpretations of their data as a result of their design, and improving their experimental designs to the extent that it is possible.  OA research is incredibly time and money intensive and some of the A-design suggestions will be completely impossible for some types of research.  We should be cautious not be over-zealous in restricting ourselves so rigidly by experimental design and statistics that it clouds our creativity and blocks our ability to make sound research progress.

Cheers,
Andrea Grottoli
Mark Warner

Message: 1