[Coral-List] postdoc position announcement
tsutton1 at nova.edu
Fri Jul 10 16:41:07 EDT 2015
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Quantitative Biological Oceanography
A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Tracey Sutton, Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography, Nova Southeastern University, Dania Beach, FL. The overall focus of the research involves the ecosystem structure of the deep-pelagic Gulf of Mexico, as part of the DEEPEND Consortium (www.deependconsortium.org), of which Dr. Sutton is Director. The DEEPEND consortium is a new research program funded by Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (http://gulfresearchinitiative.org/) with 47 current members from 17 institutions created to investigate the dynamics of the deep Gulf of Mexico, with particular interest in the short- and long-term consequences of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on the pelagic environment. The position is available as soon as a qualified candidate is selected, and will be renewed after the first year pending satisfactory performance. The position will emphasize highly quantitative approaches to the analysis of data generated by an extensive and ongoing field campaign that integrates deep-sea taxonomy, community ecology, physical oceanography, remote sensing, acoustics, genetics/genomics, marine biogeochemistry, and numerical modelling. The specific focus of independent research will be analysis of deep-pelagic community data with respect to spatial, temporal, ecological and physical drivers. The successful candidate will utilize these datasets to develop papers and/or new research. Experience developing and applying biological, physical, and/or ecological models will be preferred. Mentoring students engaged in research is a component of this position, as is active participation in education and outreach activities.
The laboratory is located in the Guy Harvey Oceanographic Center (http://cnso.nova.edu/index.html), a state-of-the-art facility overlooking both Port Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean, within the Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences.
* Excellent analytical skills, preferably with emphasis on marine assemblages
* Excellent knowledge of marine ecology and ecological processes
* Interest and experience in analyzing multidisciplinary time-series datasets
* Knowledge of dynamical physical oceanography
* Excellent written and communication skills in English
* Experience with manuscript preparation/submission and familiarity with grant-writing process
* Exceptional candidates will be innovative, dedicated, collaborative, and have strong organizational skills
The application should include the following documents/information:
* Letter of intent; CV; Contact information for three references
* Applicant contact information, including e-mail address and phone number
* Applicants may include additional information or copies of documents/certificates in support of application
The applications should be sent online to: www.nsujobs.com. The position number is: 992763.
The direct link for the posting is: http://www.nsujobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=79034
Further questions about the position can be directed to Dr. Sutton (tsutton1 at nova.edu)
More information about the Coral-List