[Coral-List] New paper: Switch between morphospecies of Pocillopora corals

David Arturo Paz Garcia david6biom at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:41:35 EDT 2015

Dear coral-listers,I would like to draw your attention to a new publication about switch between Pocillopora morphospecies (type 1). We evaluated the temporal stability of coral morphospecies in situ for 4 years. Twenty-three percent of tagged colonies of Pocillopora damicornis changed to Pocillopora inflata morphology during this time. This switch in identity coincided with a shift to a higher frequency of storms and lower water turbidity. Seven months after the switch, P. inflata colonies were recovering their original P. damicornis morphology. This is the first in situ study to document switching between described morphospecies, and it elucidates the influence of temporal shifts in environmental conditions on morphologically plastic responses.
 Reference Paz-Garcia et al. 2015. Switch between Morphospecies of Pocillopora Corals. The American Naturalist.http://www.jstor.org/stable/amernatu.ahead-of-print

You can access to PDF copy in the following links
https://www.academia.edu/12761398/Switch_between_morphospecies_of_Pocillopora_corals
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Paz-Garcia

Best Regards,

David A. Paz-García
1-Laboratorio de Necton y Ecología de Arrecifes,Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas del NoroesteInstituto Politécnico Nacional 195, Col. Playa Palo de Santa Rita Sur, La Paz, Baja California Sur 23096, México.E-mail: dpaz at cibnor.mx, david6biom at hotmail.com
2-Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
Publicationshttp://cibnor.academia.edu/DavidPazGarcía/Papers

Scientific Design Services (Servicios de Diseño Científico)http://www.wix.com/david6biom/figure-edit#!home|mainPage