[Coral-List] Massive die-off of Ceraesignum (Dendropoma) maximum in Moorea, French Polynesia

Rudiger Bieler rbieler at fieldmuseum.org
Sat Jul 25 09:10:19 EDT 2015

Craig,

Do we already know whether any of the smaller-bodied vermetids in the area
(genera Petaloconchus, Thylacodes/Serpulorbis, etc.) are likewise affected?
Our team is looking at aspects of vermetid biology/distribution worldwide
and might be able to help with this.

     Best, Rüdiger

--

Rudiger Bieler, PhD

Curator of Zoology/Invertebrates

Integrative Research Center
Field Museum of Natural History, 1400 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605-2496, U.S.A., phone +1(312) 665-7720
fax +1(312) 665-7754, e-mail rbieler at fieldmuseum.org

Field Museum web page <http://www.fieldmuseum.org/>     FMNH Invertebrates
collections databases
<http://fieldmuseum.org/explore/department/zoology/invertebrates/collections>

FMNH staff web page <http://fieldmuseum.org/users/r%C3%BCdiger-bieler>
    Bivalve Tree of Life (BivAToL) project <http://www.bivatol.org/>

Subject:[Coral-List] Massive die-off of Ceraesignum (Dendropoma) maximum in
Moorea, French PolynesiaDate:Wed, 22 Jul 2015 20:40:12 +0000From:Craig W
Osenberg <osenberg at uga.edu> <osenberg at uga.edu>To:
coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>CC:Tom Frazer <frazer at ufl.edu>
<frazer at ufl.edu>, Jeff Shima <Jeffrey.Shima at vuw.ac.nz>
<Jeffrey.Shima at vuw.ac.nz>, Anya Leard Brown <anyabrown at uga.edu>
<anyabrown at uga.edu>

Our research team (Tom Frazer, Jeff Shima, Anya Brown, Craig Osenberg)
recently observed a mass mortality event in the vermetid gastropod,
Cereasignum maximum (previously Dendropoma maximum) in Moorea, French
Polynesia.  Over a 2 week period in mid-July, snails went from
apparently "normal" (making mucus nets; feeding; opercula located at
the edge of the shell apertures) to "lethargic" (snails greatly
retracted into their shells, cessation of mucus-net-feeding) to dead
(rotting in their shells).   Mortality rates over this 2 week period
were upwards of 90-100%.   This has happened at all shallow-water
sites we've inspected in Moorea (C. maximum occurs in depths <10m)..
We are working to get obtain data from other islands as well.  We also
are collecting samples for histological and molecular analysis with
other colleagues.

We are writing to ask that anyone who observes large numbers of
non-net-secreting snails or fresh, empty shells of C. maximum to
contact us immediately to help us document the temporal and spatial
extent of this mass mortality event.  We also are keen to have healthy
(whole) specimens and "near-healthy" specimens prior to significant
deterioration of their condition to facilitate our ability to identify
the putative pathogen(s) responsible for the die-off and/or the way in
which the symptoms manifest (at present, we have very few "healthy" or
"near-healthy" specimens).

Thanks much,Craig Osenberg
Odum School of Ecology
University of Georgiaosenberg at UGA.edu<mailto:osenberg at UGA.edu>
<osenberg at UGA.edu>