[Coral-List] Corals Persist But Bioerosion Rises in Low-pH Waters

Anne Cohen acohen at whoi.edu
Mon Jun 15 08:41:43 EDT 2015

Dear Steve and Gene

It's gratifying to see that our study generated such interest and healthy discussion. Note that our case for a link between low pH and enhanced bioerosion is made from a comparison of response variables across multiple naturally low pH coral reef systems, not just one.  These reefs have different flow, light and temperature environments, different frequencies of variability in those parameters, different community compositions, degrees of connectivity, biogeography, distances from shore etc. Their only commonality is low pH and the only common response variable (amongst those measured) is enhanced bioerosion and dissolution. This observation, supported by fairly substantial experimental evidence, led us to our conclusion, and a testable hypothesis.

Thank you again for the energetic and thoughtful discussion
Hannah & Anne

Sent from my iPad