[Coral-List] asking for confirmation or is post saying NOAA demonstrates conformational bias

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Tue Jun 16 14:25:10 EDT 2015

Karl et al., were very transparent, Melissa.  They describe the reasons
for the adjusted trend in their paper -- which, unlike the vast majority
of what Anthony Watts writes, was peer reviewed.

The changes reported by Karl et al., are the result of three primary
factors: 1) more accurate adjustments to sea-surface temperature data
that better take into account the change in and difference among methods
to measure SSTs; 2) inclusion of more data from the Arctic region,
which, as you know, is where global warming is likely to be most
pronounced; and 3) inclusion of additional historical datasets that
improve the resolution of spatial coverage over land.

Later,

Dave

On 6/16/2015 12:32 PM, mdemetr at biophi.org wrote:
>   Hi all,
> Can someone please explain to me what happened to the NOAA data that is discussed in this link? This does not look like conformational bias, unless you want to say that NOAA is guilty of conformational bias? Did this data indead change on the NOAA climate data center? If a change occured, is there an explanation as to why the change occured and an archive of the older data included in the climate data center?
> I know folks get all excited about the politics of climate change, but as scientists we need to be very transparent.
> thanks,
> Melissa
>
> Melissa K. Demetrikopoulos, Ph.D.
> Director of Scientific Communications and
> Chair, Division of Program Development and Assessment
> Institute for Biomedical Philosophy
> PO Box 1528
> Dunedin, FL 34697
> TEL: 305-240-1522
> mdemetr at BioPhi.org
>

> Here is another possible example of conformation bias. Looks like this
> controversy will be with us for a while. Gene
>
> *http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/05/noaa-caught-rewriting-us-temperature-history-again.php*
>
> *
> *

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  6467 Hanna Drive         | Cell:  (804) 305-5234
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan