[Coral-List] Climate Change

Richard Plate richarp33 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 06:35:26 EDT 2015

I'm not a climate scientist (which, oddly, for many climate change deniers
would increase my credibility to weigh in on the topic as I am not
dependent on income from grants to study climate change).  Though, since
climate change is a topic I cover when teaching environmental science, I do
try to keep up with denier arguments as they come up.

As a tactical point, the climate denier arguments might be stronger if they
hadn't already made so many poor arguments previously to support often
contradictory criticisms of the widely accepted scientific understanding of
climate change.

Gene points us to a couple of blogs, one by Dr. Roy Spencer.  Here is a
list of Dr. Spencer's previous arguments about climate change with links to
how those arguments are misleading or simply inaccurate:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/skeptic_Roy_Spencer.htm

So, without full understanding of the measuring devices used around the
world to collect temperature data or the necessary corrections required
(here's a description of NOAA's explanation:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/recent-global-surface-warming-hiatus), I am
left to decide who I believe more:

1. A NOAA research team, the editors and peer reviewers at the
well-respected journal *Science*, and 97% of climate scientists

or

2. Dr. Roy Spencer, who has previously argued that "extra carbon dioxide
(and methane, an especially potent greenhouse gas) emitted by joggers
accounts for close to 10% of the current Global Warming problem." (See the
last argument on the Spencer link I included above).

Thanks,
Richard