[Coral-List] The Irony of the Pope's science - is it's selectivity.

frahome at yahoo.com frahome at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 03:41:35 EDT 2015

Dear all,
hopefully what I write is relevant to coral reefs even if I won’t use the keyword in the following text. I believe that none of us has yet really grasped the depth of change we need to bring to our lifestyles and society to reach sustainability.We talk about backing off from the use of fossil fuels but very few talk about the equal need to back off from our spoiled lifestyles and consumer/industrial culture. True sustainability is likely incompatible with what we are accustomed to, with our current economic model, lifestyles and expectations.
Even the more virtuous countries that are rapidly switching to renewables (Denmark, Germany) have still ecological footprints way above sustainability..  I assume that making estimates on what it is a sustainable population means coming to an agreement on what it is a sustainable lifestyle that meets our needs.The more greedy and spoiled we are, the smaller the population the planet can sustain. The more frugal we are, the more people can be accommodated.I think some estimates on maximum population were based mainly on food needs but I don’t know how the other resource intensive “needs” were taken into account (material affluence, traveling, transportation, communication) We could probably have a dignified and fulfilling life consuming 10, 20? times less than what we westerners do now (this would sort of multiply by x times what we consider a sustainable world population). Maybe we should try to imagine what a sustainable acceptable lifestyle could and should look like when the planet will host 10 billion people and try to embrace it if we really care. We can then later make further adjustments based on how fast the family planning initiatives will work and population will decrease.
I am afraid none of us is ready nor willing to live up to the challenge and would rather fool to him/herself with all sorts of speculations on trying to understand which is the main factor of environmental degradation, who’s fault, advocating changes to others, to politics, to technology etc while remaining in our comfort zone, not even trying to imagine how our everyday life should look like if what we advocate for will come true.
RegardsFrancesca