[Coral-List] How to "green" the dive?

martina m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com
Sun Mar 8 09:18:56 EDT 2015

Dear Alice,

thanks for your endeavour - we need to green our dives!
Please let me introduce the recently funded EU project Green Bubbles
(www.greenbubbles.eu launched in Jan 2015), going exactly in this
direction.

We believe SCUBA diving can do much for society, well beyond generating
revenues. However, we are well aware of the negative impacts associated
with the business, too. A systematic review we are going to finalise
evidenced knowledge gaps that deserve attention, and an overall
isolation between disciplines studying the subject. However, our
ambitious aim to make diving sustainable under each of the three pillars
of sustainability (environmental, economic and social) requires lots of
integration and mutual understanding starting from the researchers'
side. That's why the project brings together social scientists,
economists, educators, biologists, engineers, software developers,
marketing experts, medical doctors and lots of people with sound
experience in the dive industry from all across the globe. It's an
exciting challenge!

We will proceed engaging and assessing the dive system (divers, staff,
operators, certifying agencies, schools, communities and authorities) to
highlight issues and opportunities. There's a great enthusiasm from the
industry side but also from the local authorities' - this is very
important and positive both to help us carry out the research and to
establish a real dialogue. Then we will respond to issues and capitalise
on opportunities, always feeding back to and receiving feedback from our
base. Finally, we will facilitate the uptake of results accompanying the
various actors with tailored training, marketing and business plans.

Green Bubbles will focus on two case studies, respectively in the
Mediterranean Sea and in South Africa so that both coral reef and
non-coral reef diving is addressed. However, we are planning activities
well beyond the regional level. So, just sign up!

The Green Bubbles site is going to be quickly populated with posts on
our field and desktop research activities, as well as on the increasing
Green Bubbles network. Contacts and information about joining are
already available but of course you can also write to me directly. I
will also use my Twitter account @martix_m to post quick news about
#GreenBubblesRISE, #GreenBubblesproject and #sustainable #diving .
Research papers stemming from the project will be announced on the
website but also shared via Open Access repositories as requested by EU
rules on research funding.

Stay tuned!

Ciao

Martina

Dr Martina Milanese, PhD

Studio Associato Gaia Snc dei Dottori Antonio Sarà e Martina Milanese
Via Brigata Liguria 1/9 scala A
16121 Genova - Italy
PI 01600400996

www.studioassociatogaia.com
m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com
martinix at iol.it

Italian Mob. +39-338-1196672
Moroccan Mob. +212-636808514

skype: m.milanese
it.linkedin.com/pub/martina-milanese/36/634/469/
twitter: @martix_m