[Coral-List] Trading reef destruction for progress

Steve Palumbi spalumbi at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 10 10:27:00 EDT 2015

The most telling aspect of the article to me is that there is no indication that the Army Corps ever slowed or halted dredging when their coral protection efforts failed. It appears that once a plan was in place to dredge, it was followed in spite of severe damage. And the Corps spokesperson said over and over that all regulations were followed. I suppose someone was supposed to sue them in the middle of the dredging to fix the procedures.

Steve

Stephen R. Palumbi
Harold A Miller Director, Hopkins Marine Station
Jane and Marshall Steel Professor of Biology
Stanford University