[Coral-List] Florida can teach Australia a lesson about corals

Brian Walker walkerb at nova.edu
Thu Mar 12 09:25:37 EDT 2015

Dear Ashley,

I hope you're right. It's too bad Florida is in the spotlight for this as there are many hard-working people trying to make a difference. Unfortunately we haven't learned from our own past mistakes, not to mention others. This seems to occur with every major project near sensitive habitats and yet we continue to prioritize economic growth and commercial interests ahead of environmental interests.

In my opinion, it all comes down to cost. They could spend the money and monitor appropriately during construction, but the cost of suspending a project is too great and out-weighs any sort of penalties for violating ones permits. I suspect these will continue to happen until penalties become large enough to play into the economic evaluation of a project.

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian K. Walker, Ph.D.
Research Scientist