[Coral-List] Possible focused predation upon Millepora complanata by Ophioblennius atlanticus or O. macclurei

Delbeek, Charles CDelbeek at calacademy.org
Sun Mar 22 10:22:31 EDT 2015

Very similar lesions can be found on Millepora in the Red Sea and in the Indo-Pacific and in this case they are caused by the blenny, Exallias brevis. Bruce Carlson described this in a paper in 2012 Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 463:297-299 (http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps_oa/m463p297.pdf) based on observations he made some 30 years previous. This became an issue a few years ago on the list as a researcher in the Red Sea published a paper describing it as a coral disease, and this was then corrected based on Bruce's observations (Zvuloni A, Armoza-Zvuloni R, Shaked Y (2011) Multifocal
bleaching of Millepora dichotoma in the Gulf of Aqaba (Eilat), Red Sea. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 441: 25−32.).

While I don't doubt what Andy said about the Yellowtail damsel, I would also not rule out the red-lipped blenny, Ophioblennius atlanticus, as those markings are quite large and look pretty much identical to the ones made by the Exallias blenny species.

Best regards,
Charles Delbeek