[Coral-List] Even chickens can help save coral reefs!

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:48:53 EDT 2015

Please consider supporting and participating in our initiative to
support community-based MPAs presently on Global Giving.

Even chickens can help save coral reefs!

Poverty and a lack of alternative protein sources is directly linked
to overfishing, which in turn leads to coral reef decline as coral
predators become plagues and algae overgrows the reef. Reef
degradation in turn leads to increased levels of hunger and more
desperate acts of destructive fishing, using poisons and explosives to
fish. Many have said that we must address food security and poverty in
order to break this cycle of overfishing and destruction and to
restore coral reefs where most of them are found- in the less
developed countries.

Although very small, this project is up and running, perhaps the first
project of its kind. We can now support community-based no-take areas
in developing countries with "Happy Chicken" poultry projects,
replacing the protein lost during initial project establishment as
well as preventing increased fishing pressure on the remaining fished
reefs.

We were able to provide at cost more than five thousand chicks to poor
Fijian farmers last year. This year Vanuatu is our intended main
target due to the recent severe cyclone (winds gusting up to
320Km/hr), wiping out nearly all village chickens and damaging coral
reefs.

After the Vanuatu post-cyclone focus, we are seeking coral reef
partnership sites in Fiji and Vanuatu and the region for 2016, if any
want to add poultry to reinforce their sites. We would also be happy
to assist other geographic areas with startup of your own project.

For more details on our project please visit Global Giving at the link below.
On March 27th the funding portal will close on the website, but
donations can still be accepted by contacting Global Giving.

http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

Thanks so much!

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
abowdenkerby at gmail.com
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.facebook.com/C4Conservation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009j6wb

Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods Farm
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji