[Coral-List] Even chickens can help save coral reefs!

Phil Dustan dustanp at cofc.edu
Thu Mar 26 09:35:02 EDT 2015

Dear Listers,
 Chickens might help alleviate hunger but do not forget what happened to
the ecology of the shallow waters of  Great South Bay,Long Island NY or the
Chesapeake when great masses of chickens began to be farmed there. The same
goes for pigs on small islands in the Seychelles and other small island
nations. What we really need is a clear path towards reducing the density
of our species all around the planet.
  Phil

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Austin Bowden-Kerby <abowdenkerby at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Please consider supporting and participating in our initiative to
> support community-based MPAs presently on Global Giving.
>
> Even chickens can help save coral reefs!
>
> Poverty and a lack of alternative protein sources is directly linked
> to overfishing, which in turn leads to coral reef decline as coral
> predators become plagues and algae overgrows the reef. Reef
> degradation in turn leads to increased levels of hunger and more
> desperate acts of destructive fishing, using poisons and explosives to
> fish. Many have said that we must address food security and poverty in
> order to break this cycle of overfishing and destruction and to
> restore coral reefs where most of them are found- in the less
> developed countries.
>
> Although very small, this project is up and running, perhaps the first
> project of its kind. We can now support community-based no-take areas
> in developing countries with "Happy Chicken" poultry projects,
> replacing the protein lost during initial project establishment as
> well as preventing increased fishing pressure on the remaining fished
> reefs.
>
> We were able to provide at cost more than five thousand chicks to poor
> Fijian farmers last year. This year Vanuatu is our intended main
> target due to the recent severe cyclone (winds gusting up to
> 320Km/hr), wiping out nearly all village chickens and damaging coral
> reefs.
>
> After the Vanuatu post-cyclone focus, we are seeking coral reef
> partnership sites in Fiji and Vanuatu and the region for 2016, if any
> want to add poultry to reinforce their sites. We would also be happy
> to assist other geographic areas with startup of your own project.
>
> For more details on our project please visit Global Giving at the link
> below.
> On March 27th the funding portal will close on the website, but
> donations can still be accepted by contacting Global Giving.
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.globalgiving.org_projects_happy-2Dchickens-2Dfor-2Dfood-2Dsecurity-2Dand-2Denvironment-2D1_&d=AwICAg&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=mxnjGj1-K1cYCH-JH1g-7Q&m=XxfOc4D3025i8ygeHXnv3Y-rkthBNbAHpKXBt4Ipgbg&s=i4pKLNIlvE85AWqUz59QoPAA6Pvg3hZbhFru1Vmd_LA&e=
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
> Corals for Conservation
> abowdenkerby at gmail.com
> P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_C4Conservation&d=AwICAg&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=mxnjGj1-K1cYCH-JH1g-7Q&m=XxfOc4D3025i8ygeHXnv3Y-rkthBNbAHpKXBt4Ipgbg&s=yFlIfJtVfkUBTLxxS1lXX8xch094NHPfQ3OPN-o5T0Q&e=
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bbc.co.uk_programmes_p009j6wb&d=AwICAg&c=7MSSWy9Bs2yocjNQzurxOQ&r=mxnjGj1-K1cYCH-JH1g-7Q&m=XxfOc4D3025i8ygeHXnv3Y-rkthBNbAHpKXBt4Ipgbg&s=wqpCGCUAW1vMyKvxxNIAKJ431dRUafl63ta_0m8LMPQ&e=

> [...]

Phillip Dustan
Department of Biology
College of Charleston
Charleston SC  20401
Charleston SC
843 953 8086 (voice)
843-224-3321 (m)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself
we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords
that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. "
*                                         John Muir 1869*