[Coral-List] BIOT coral bleaching event

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri May 1 19:56:49 EDT 2015

Thanks very much, Andy!!

Just to be clear in case anybody doesn't know, BIOT (British Indian Ocean
Territory) consists of the Chagos Archipelago, including Diego Garcia.

Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Andrew Bruckner <
Bruckner at livingoceansfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> The following is a brief report of a recent bleaching event we've been
> following in the British Indian Ocean Territory.
>
> During recent coral reef surveys in the British Indian Ocean Territory
> (BIOT) conducted by the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, we
> noticed a dramatic increase in bleaching and bleaching-associated
> mortality. On our first research mission (March 10-31, 2015) bleaching was
> rare; only a few isolated pale colonies were noted.  Beginning on April 15
> we started to see a high number of table acroporids that were pale to
> yellow in color, and partial bleaching (mottled and pale colonies) on other
> corals.  Over the next week bleaching increased substantially on table
> acroporids, with over half showing signs of bleaching.  Completely bleached
> colonies of Pocillopora, small digitate acroporids, Seriatopora and other
> smaller corals were also common in shallow water, and several genera, such
> as Stylophora, displayed bleached branch tips. By April 25, most of the
> table acroporids (especially A. cytherea) above 15 m were white, light
> yellow or light blue, while fewer (20%) deeper colonies were bleached.
> Numerous other corals, especially Lobophyllia, all of the fungiids, most
> acroporids, Stylophora, Symphyllia and Goniopora were various fluorescent
> shades of blue, yellow or green; many massive corals, such as Galaxea and
> Pocillopora,  numerous genera of faviids, hydrozoan corals (Millepora) and
> certain anemones were stark white.  Bleaching has continued to increase in
> severity on reefs off Salomon Atoll, with most corals in shallow (<10 m)
> fore reef locations fully bleached (e.g. Isopora, Stylophora, Pocillopora,
> digitate and branching acroporids, faviids, Astreopora, Hydnophora, Pavona,
> and Physogyra) as of April 26. Shallow lagoonal reefs (2-10 m depth) are
> also showing severe signs of bleaching, and more than half the corals in
> deeper areas being pale, mottled or fully bleached, including many of the
> large Porites lutea colonies, plates of Porites rus, foliaceous Echinopora
> colonies, and plating Leptoseris, Pachyseris, Merulina and Mycedium, with
> bleaching seen to 35 m depth.  On the fore reef, bleached table acroporids
> (mostly A. cytherea), Acropora tenuis, digitate acroporids, Isopora and
> some smaller colonies of Porites are beginning to show signs of tissue loss
> and algal colonization.  Other species are currently showing less mortality.
>
> There appears to be considerable spatial variability in the extent of
> bleaching. Some atolls and reef systems, especially lagoonal and fore reef
> systems off Salomon and Peros Banhos show the highest prevalence of
> bleaching, while others (Speakers, Blenheim, Great Chagos Bank) had many
> fewer bleached corals.  Within a reef system, passes between islands and
> deep reefs (below 30 m) show less bleaching, as do murky lagoonal
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

Politics, science, and public attitudes: What we're learning, and why it
matters.  Science Insider, open access.

http://news.sciencemag.org/social-sciences/2015/02/politics-science-and-public-attitudes-what-we-re-learning-and-why-it-matters?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&utm_src=email

Homeopathy ineffective, study confirms.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sifter/2015/03/homeopathy-ineffective-study-confirms