[Coral-List] Endangered sea turtles killed in Florida

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 01:36:48 EDT 2015

I just want to bring to the attention of the Coral-List community at large, including the NOAA-Southeast Fisheries Science Center, Protected Resources Division in Miami, Florida, that a beach re-nourishment project on Palm Beach, Florida, is killing endangered sea turtles.
There is no report so far on what happened to whatever Acropora palmata or A. cernivornis might be there. The newspiece only covers the sea turtles. Not covered in the newspiece also (but circulated through Facebook) are the sea turtle nests that have been dug out and disposed off by the bulldozers on the beach. I cannot share the Facebook postings through this forum.
I urge the appropriate institutions to take action immediately.
Here's the newscast.http://www.wpbf.com/news/sea-turtles-killed-by-beach-renourishment-project/32826512

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org/what-we-do/coral-reef-restoration-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres