[Coral-List] Endangered sea turtles killed in Florida

Mcguire,Maia Patterson mpmcg at ufl.edu
Fri May 8 09:31:49 EDT 2015

Hi Sarah,

Not taking sides, but in the interest of making sure people understand how these projects work...the news article references "incidental take"--my understanding is that in order to get permits to do activities like beach nourishment, dredging and even beach driving--activities that might harm listed species--the group that will be conducting the activity has to file for an incidental take permit with the federal government. They have to estimate the potential "take" and show what efforts they will take to minimize that take. Unfortunately the permitting agencies have to try and balance the demand (often by the public) for the activity against the potential impact on listed species and it ultimately often comes down to a compromise. I'm not an expert on this topic, but it sounds like the beach nourishment project below is operating under permit and has permission for a certain level of "take." The time for people to get involved is when the permits are being requested (I receive notice from my local Army Corps of Engineers office when those are happening in my area--I'd guess anyone can request those notifications...)

Maia

Maia McGuire, PhD
UF/IFAS Extension Florida Sea Grant Agent
150 Sawgrass Road
Bunnell, FL 32110

386-437-7464

http://stjohns.ifas.ufl.edu/sea/seagrant.htm