[Coral-List] 12ICRS and 2015 ISRS Consensus Statements

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 8 11:32:35 EST 2015

Dear Terry and all,

It is certainly comforting to know that the 2012 ICRS Consensus Statement has received widespread support. I believe that considerable backing was fairly well established upon its release. When I first read it back then I remember thinking that I had found The Holy Grail and that surely this would have the power to change the paradigm. I seized on it and used many of it's facts as the basis of a flyer I attempted to circulate throughout the diving industry. Fast forward three years and yet another consensus statement has been released. I truly believe that this too has the full support of the coral science community. Perhaps it was unnecessary to ask for a clear show of support. In retrospect, I should have asked if there were any signs of dissent, since that would have been easier to tabulate. Now, having just returned from another DEMA diving convention, I would like to inform all interested parties that, borrowing from Walt Kelly, "We have met the enemy, and he is us". Not that this is in any way a revelation, but the entire concept seems to be a non-starter. Which leaves me with yet another observation and related request. The vital message contained in both these consensus statements is just not resonating even within the community of divers, a constituency you would think would have a natural affinity for these particular forewarnings. How do we change this?  I'm tired of modifying the message in light of the fact that we don't want to offend the sensibilities of those who continue to be unconvinced. I want to get the message out there with some power and a level of certainty that reflects the overwhelming scientific support that you describe. That leaves me with this question. If coral listers were to comprise a hypothetical wish list of methods or strategies designed to create an effective appeal which would have a real chance of breaking through . . . what would it look like?   To end on a more positive note, let me say that one ray of sunshine is the fact that the younger generation of diving professionals seems to get it. The only problem is, I don't know if the world's coral reefs have the time to wait them out.

Regards,
Steve Mussman
Sea Lab Diving