[Coral-List] ISRS 2015 Petition

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 9 11:54:29 EST 2015

Dear Judy,

I hope that my last post in no way diminishes your call to action. I just joined the ISRS and signed the petition as well. Now comes the hard part. I want to find a way to do more. My own personal disillusionment comes from the fact that even with a clear showing of scientific solidarity, there is no guarantee that public attitudes will change. To me, the diving industry serves as a microcosm, providing a unique opportunity to experiment and explore effective ways to counter a powerful public relations campaign designed to foment doubt, obstruction and antipathy. Divers are a cross section of the public as a whole, but they do come with a certain enhanced appreciation of the natural world. If we can't find ways to break through to them, how can we hope to reach those who seem almost totally disengaged from nature?  It is in this spirit that I ask for any and all suggestions as to how to reach out in a way that makes everyone understand that taking effective measures to conserve our coral reefs does not have to be seen as an affront to one's core values or preferred way of life. In fact, we need to somehow make it clear that to do nothing is by far the greater threat.

Regards,
Steve