[Coral-List] New paper on coral antioxidant plasticity under thermal stress

Tom Hawkins tom.hawkins.photo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:14:56 EST 2015

Hello fellow coral people,

Some of our recent work on the oxidative theory of bleaching has been
published in the latest issue of Coral Reefs.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-015-1345-4

Using *Stylophora pistillata *from the Great Barrier Reef, we found that
enzymatic antioxidant responses to thermal/photic stress differed
significantly between deep and shallow coral populations. Additionally,
these differences were most obvious in the activity of host antioxidants,
rather than in the antioxidants of the algal symbionts. In the wider
context of oxidative stress and bleaching, these findings highlight early
cellular changes in the host as potentially important in the bleaching
process.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom Hawkins
School of Marine Science and Policy
University of Delaware
--
‘I don’t understand why when we destroy something created by man we call it
vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it