[Coral-List] Researchers Grow Super Corals To Save Reefs From Global Warming: How This Could Impact Marine Life

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 16:38:28 EST 2015

Dear Tracy and all,

I'd like to give you some feedback from the front lines. While personally very supportive of efforts like the one described in the article, I have to mention that there is an alternate interpretation circulating that needs to be addressed. As all of you are aware, we still run into fierce opposition when we try to raise awareness of the threats to coral reefs, especially as they apply to climate change. I have been focused primarily on the diving industry, but the problem is pervasive. I regularly find myself defending the scientific community from everything from fraud to high treason. Ironically, the same people who reject and vilify science are quick to adopt any research that conveniently fits their narrative. In this case, the headline "Researchers Grow Super Corals To Save Reefs From Global Warming" will likely be exploited as supportive of the idea that we need not worry about the effects of climate change because natural reefs can be replaced by super corals. All I am suggesting is, like the assurance given that these corals are not to be confused with GMOs, we need to be careful to make it clear that research involving enhanced resiliency is not intended to provide a full-scale replacement for entire marine ecosystems. The best solution is still to act decisively to protect and conserve our naturally occurring reefs and, in my opinion, care should be taken to frame the debate in this way.   Regards, Steve