[Coral-List] SPAM R2: coral reefs and climate change: new article

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:18:11 EST 2015

      Indeed we know that bleaching temperatures are not an absolute.  That
is why the local bleaching threshold is estimated as about 1 degree C above
the local mean summer high water temperature, which varies a great deal
from location to location.  That is one of the keys to the success of the
NOAA Coral Watch bleaching predictions.  And it is important how long the
high temperatures last as well, thus the best predictor is actually in
"degree heating weeks."
     Bleaching, of course can be produced by many things, such as high
temperatures, low temperatures, fresh water, extended dark, disease, etc.,
things which seem to stress the coral.  But most or almost all mass coral
bleaching events now are during periods of high water temperatures.
Usually the cause of mass coral bleaching is pretty obvious, the water is
unusually hot, or unusually cold, or there is a big fresh water runoff,
etc.  Bleaching also differs between genera of corals, species of corals,
individual corals, and even parts of corals (usually more on the upper
surface than lower surfaces).  The latter is likely due to a contribution
from high light levels.  Which is why I coined the term "photothermal
bleaching" to distinguish this type of bleaching from loss of zooxanthellae
from disease or other stresses, and to remind us that light plays a role in
mass coral bleaching as well as high temperatures.  Reduced water motion
can also contribute.

Cheers,  Doug

Fenner, D., and S. Heron. 2009.  Annual summer mass bleaching of a
multi-species coral community in American Samoa.  Proceedings of the 11th
International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale. 1289-1293.

    http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/proceedings/files/m25-04.pdf#zoom=100

--
Douglas Fenner
Consultant, corals, coral reefs, coral identification
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

G20 nations spend $452 billion a year supporting fossil fuels: study.
Support for fossil fuels was four times higher than for renewable energy.

http://news.yahoo.com/g20-nations-spend-452-bn-supporting-fossil-fuels-003713410.html