[Coral-List] The Hydrous Maldives Expedition- 1 seat left

Sly Lee sly at thehydro.us
Fri Nov 27 15:41:45 EST 2015

Aloha!

I'd like to send a post about our Tech + Conservation based expeditions,
and the 2 seats we have left. See info below:

*Who:* The Hydrous is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that has pioneered a method to 3D
capture coral reefs for highly precise, immersive, and interactive
scientific and educational tools. Our work has been featured in WIRED
<http://www.wired.com/2015/05/3d-modeled-coral/>, TEDx
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pifbN446lQc#t=628>, Core 77
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_VqMNXDtE>, Fast Company
<
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3046370/evidence/how-3-d-mapping-software-could-help-save-coral-reefs

..

We are on a mission to create open access oceans, and now are hosting
technology + conservation based expeditions open to select individuals. The
next expedition is their follow up project in the Maldives.
<http://video.wired.com/watch/3-d-mapping-the-world-s-coral-to-save-it>

*When:* Maldives expedition this Dec 12-22, 2015.

*Where: *Lhaviyani, Baa, and Rasdhoo atolls

*What: *The Maldives expedition will consist of scuba diving on some of the
most pristine and most degraded coral reefs in the Maldives, learning how
to 3D capture coral reefs and trying your hand at it, helping conduct our
field surveys, and being a part of the conversation around technology's
role in implementing sustainable resource management in the Maldives, in
collaboration with President Nasheed.

Your participation helps to sponsor a local youth on our expedition (12
people on the boat), and our work!

If you haven't seen it already, you can get a glimpse of the pilot
expedition in Indonesia <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwH8j2WKeh0>. This
trip, however, will be much different in that we will be on a live aboard
dive boat the entire 10 days, and be in the water every day. Scuba diving
licenses are not required for this expedition, as most coral reefs we will
visit are pretty shallow (10m or less).

*Why: *This is the follow up expedition to our trip last December, when we
gathered data before the El Ni?o hit this year. This research trip will
allow us to gather data to visualize and document coral bleaching on a
scale and in a format never done before. In addition, we have partnered
with Jon Shenk, the director of the "Island President" Documentary about
the Maldives, and we will be filming for the follow up documentary, which
will be featured in the NY Times.

Price: $3,600 (Some employers will price match, meaning your fee would be
$1800 + Employer sponsor; Google, Autodesk, Salesforce, Facebook are among
them).

Mahalo!

--
*Sly Lee*
Founder, The Hydrous

See our first tech/conservation expedition in Indonesia
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwH8j2WKeh0>
In the news |  Singularity Hub
<http://singularityhub.com/2015/10/29/3d-mapping-the-worlds-reefs-with-sly-lee-interview/?utm_content=buffer2cd6d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>