[Coral-List] Update on Hawaii bleaching event

Greta Aeby greta at hawaii.edu
Thu Oct 8 04:50:12 EDT 2015

Hi all,

We received over 85* Eyes of the Reef *reports of bleaching during our
State-wide *Bleachapalooza* event.  Combined with our prior efforts we have
now received over 140 reports of coral bleaching from Oahu, Kauai, Maui,
Molokini and Hawaii.  We are still doing a more detailed analysis of these
reports but to date we can say that *the bleaching event was
widespread *throughout
the main Hawaiian Islands affecting the shallow water reefs.  For example,
on Oahu we had reports of bleaching from 25 different areas around the
island.  The reports from a limited number of deeper reefs found no
bleaching.   The *pocilloporids* were hardest hit but we also have
significant bleaching in the *montiporids *and *poritids.  *Pictures can be
found at:* https://www.facebook.com/eyesofthereef
<https://www.facebook.com/eyesofthereef>*

Credit goes to all of the community members across Hawaii who were willing
to get in the water to check on the reefs and submit an EOR report!!

aloha,

greta
--
Greta Aeby, PhD