[Coral-List] NOAA Press Release - 3rd ever Global Bleaching Event Underway

Bruno, John jbruno at unc.edu
Fri Oct 9 10:31:11 EDT 2015

Mark Eakin did a fantastic job talking about coral bleaching and ocean warming on NPR yesterday:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/10/08/global-bleaching-coral-reefs

But this bit of misinformation in the NOAA press release was disappointing:

"We need to act locally and think globally to address these bleaching events. Locally produced threats  to coral, such as pollution from the land and unsustainable fishing practices, stress the health of corals and decrease the likelihood that corals can either resist bleaching, or recover from it,” said Jennifer Koss, NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program acting program manager.

So what, has NOAA / CRCP abandoned science-based management?  Despite our desire to deal with this global problem locally, the science clearly does not support this notion.

JB