[Coral-List] Aiptasia symbiotic sea anemone genome available and published

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Sep 1 03:47:43 EDT 2015

Dear friends and colleagues,

allow me to point you to our open access manuscript that details sequencing, annotation, and analysis of the Aiptasia genome that we believe can serve as a model for coral symbiosis.

In this manuscript we discovered a novel and expanded cnidarian-specific family of putative pattern-recognition receptors that might be involved in the animal-algal interactions and extensive integration of genes of prokaryotic origin, including genes for antimicrobial peptides, that presumably reflect an intimate association of the animal-algal pair with its prokaryotic microbiome.

The open access paper is available here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/08/27/1513318112.abstract <http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/08/27/1513318112.abstract>

The genome assembly, gene and protein models, and a BLAST server and genome browser can be accessed and downloaded here:
http://aiptasia.reefgenomics.org/ <http://aiptasia.reefgenomics.org/>

We hope that this resource will be helpful in elucidating the molecular and cellular biology underlying the coral-algal symbiosis and its susceptibility or resilience to stress.

Best,
Christian

Christian R Voolstra
Associate Professor of Marine Science