[Coral-List] Coral killing continues in Florida

Brian Walker walkerb at nova.edu
Sat Sep 12 08:35:00 EDT 2015

Well put Andrew.

Previous dredging operations in the region have likely killed millions of corals (Walker et al 2012). The impacts from Port Miami need to be scrutinized and understood so other USACE projects may be better planned and mitigated for, especially with the present efforts to push Port Everglades through the approval process. I am not sure of the timing, but it seems the disease outbreak occurred very near the time the dredging occurred. Has anyone investigated the possibility that the dredging kicked off this disease event?

If the disease was present beforehand and the reef tract was already stressed by warm temperatures and/or a disease outbreak, extra high sedimentation and turbidity would not be good ingredients to add to the recipe. Was the present or predicted reef condition considered when/before commencing the dredging? It certainly should be.

I don't think arguing over the semantics of the northern section of the Florida Reef Tract is productive. Yes it is different than the reefs further south for natural and unnatural reasons (Walker and Gilliam 2013), but it doesn't make it any less valuable or special. In fact this same argument could be made for many of the reefs in the Keys as well. Although not presently constructional, there are millions of corals and a diverse coral reef community trying to cope with every stressor we can possibly throw at it. There are over 150,000 m² of dense Acropora cervicornis patches (Walker and Klug 2014), the most in the continental US. Although this is a weedy species, it is found in large quantities in local historical reef framework. There are also over 40 Orbicella spp over 2 m in diameter, some close to 5 m. These corals have been constructing framework in the shallow nearshore environment resisting all the water flow changes, development, and any other stressor for hundreds of years. Some of these large corals have lost significant live tissue in the past year. Several large Dendrogyra colonies have completely perished (Gilliam pers com).

The reefs in the Broward-Miami region are in the worst condition I have ever seen (diving regularly since 1998). This year it has been hit especially hard and we are losing thousands, if not millions of hard and soft corals. We need to get a handle on what caused this outbreak and why it was so bad. Was it temperature? Was it dredging? Was it a synergistic effect? Regardless, it will take many years for the reef to recover to its previous degraded state, if it even can given the lack of consistent recruitment. The Port Everglades project is supposed to start in 2017. Should the USACE and local sponsors jump right in to another local dredging project using very similar practices on a heavily impacted system so soon after such bleaching and disease devastation? I don't think so.

There is a lot to learn from the Port Miami mishaps and Port Everglades seems to be sailing through without much regard for the previous mistakes. From beach construction to port dredging, the engineers have consistently underestimated reef impacts for large construction projects in South Florida.

Walker, B., & Klug, K. (2014). Southeast Florida shallow-water coral reef community baseline habitat mapping and characterization of mapped communities (pp. 83). Miami Beach, FL: Florida DEP Coral Reef Conservation Program report.

Walker, B. K., & Gilliam, D. S. (2013). Determining the Extent and Characterizing Coral Reef Habitats of the Northern Latitudes of the Florida Reef Tract (Martin County). PLoS ONE, 8(11), e80439. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0080439

Walker, B. K., Gilliam, D. S., Dodge, R. E., & Walczak, J. (2012). Dredging and shipping impacts on southeast Florida coral reefs. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, 19A Human impacts on coral reefs: general session, Cairns, Australia, 9-13 July 2012.

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian K. Walker, Ph.D.
Research Scientist

GIS and Spatial Ecology Lab
Nova Southeastern University
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography
8000 N. Ocean Drive, Dania Beach, FL 33004

http://www.nova.edu/ocean/overview/faculty-staff-profiles/brian_walker.html
http://cnso.nova.edu/research/labs/walker.html
http://ofr.marineplanner.io/