[Coral-List] interesting thoughts from Tom Goreau

Greg Challenger GChallenger at polarisappliedsciences.com
Tue Sep 15 20:06:16 EDT 2015

This argument is based on completely ignoring when, how, and why they were killed, which denies the history of the coral reefs that once stood on the spot and makes it appear that the area was ALWAYS a graveyard!

______________________

I haven’t followed this conversation so forgive me if I don’t know what type of project is proposed or its' history.    Interesting comment by Mr. Goreau that a standard argument of a consultant is to ignore the history of a site, essentially focusing on the current degraded condition.  The succinct answer to that is "duh".   A permittee doesn’t mitigate for what was once present, but what is there today. The current site ecology and trends in baseline (declining or advancing) define the permit conditions, not the former glory days.   If most corals are dead and live corals are declining for pre-existing reasons, then it is true that the impacts of any project should be relatively minor regardless of the glory of the former reef.   If the site is improving and pre-existing stressors have been at least partly dealt with, then the future losses from a proposed project can be greater and should be considered in avoidance and mitigation tasks.

The fact that a site wasn’t always a graveyard is not the consultants or their clients' problem (although data as to how it got that way can be helpful to the mitigation process).  It is highly likely Gene and many others are not oblivious to this information and are fully aware of the past glory of reefs and what caused their decline in many locations.  My heart goes out to the historic reef and we (evil) consultants wish for the reef to be there as much as anyone, but our job is to help the permittee avoid, mitigate or compensate for what is there today.   If the story is that reefs in the area in question, although once magnificent, are highly degraded and likely to continue to be degraded for other reasons that are beyond our control, it makes little sense for a consultant to be focused on the glory days of the reef in the permit application.   What exactly will that accomplish?   Does the permit applicant have to recreate the glory days?  Do they have to mitigate for the glory days?   It is an important question for society, but not the burden of the individual permit applicant as to why the reef is currently no more.  Knowing the history and reason for the decline is always in a good consultants' mind because that is where mitigation often comes from.  We don’t ignore the past glory, it just doesn’t have relevance when it comes to determining the current loss. It has relevance when looking at rationales of how we might mitigate or restore.

If baseline is in decline for the convincing reasons presented, then the avoidance and mitigation of what is declining has less urgency unless we propose to first halt the pre-existing decline.  If we halt the pre-existing decline and anticipate the site conditions should promote natural recovery to the former glorious reef (or something better than it is now) then maybe the USACE shouldn’t permit any further activities or seek mitigation for an advancing baseline in the compensatory analyses.   It's just math that revolves around the current condition..and to a lesser extent the direction and pace of baseline change.

PS.    Gene is one of the old guys who saw all the reefs in their glory days.....likely one of the most experienced among them all.    Sadly, given the reference to the 80's being a long time ago, I too am apparently one of the "old guys".   How that could have happened is the topic of another forum or perhaps with my therapist.

Greg E. Challenger
Principal / Marine Scientist
Polaris Applied Sciences, Inc.
12525 131st Ct NE, Kirkland WA 98034